Releasing Your Game
In this chapter, we learn how to publish our game, push updates, and incorporate social features such as a global leaderboard or an achievements system.
The following .zip download contains the full source code for each programming example provided in this chapter. Note that this includes royalty free music by Matt McFarland. I am including this music file for your convenience. Please see the included license file. Note also that this .zip does NOT include the Google Play Game Services sample. That can be found farther down on this page.
Download the Source Code (Chapter 10) No Google Play Game Services
1. EllioAndroid Chapter 10 Checkpoint 1: Changes package name (Note you must provide your own in order to publish. See page 384), adds ability to respond to onPause() and onResume(), and fixes resource leak.
2. EllioAndroid Chapter 10 Checkpoint 2: Adds music to the game, adds pausing to PlayState.
3. EllioAndroid Chapter 10 Challenge (Muting): Solution to the challenge on page 405. Demonstrates how to incorporate a mute/unmute button.
4. EllioAndroid Chapter 10 Demo (In-game Pausing): Demonstrates how to pause the game using a button in the PlayState.
5. Chapter 10 Music License File
Sample: Google Play Game Services
You can download the sample at the following link. Please read the included instructions or it will NOT work.
Click Here to see how to import the above projects into your workspace.
The following .zip download contains all assets used in this chapter. These are used when uploading the game to Google Play.
Icon (512×512), screenshot images, feature graphic image (1024×500), updated welcome image, bgmusic.mp3
1. For a list of all known in-text errors, please see the Errata.
This section will be updated as needed. Please post on our forums if you need assistance or explanation on topics covered in this chapter.